The role of the Vice President is to function as a back-up for the President. Therefore, they must be capable of handling all the duties of the President, should the president be unable or unavailable to fulfil them.
Per our Articles of Incorporation (Part 5, Division 2):
Article 45. General Duties
(1) As soon as practicable after being elected or appointed to the Committee, each committee member must become familiar with these Rules and the Act.
(2) The Committee is collectively responsible for ensuring that the Association complies with the Act and that individual members of the Committee comply with these Rules.
(3) Committee members must exercise their powers and discharge their duties with reasonable care and diligence.
(4) Committee members must exercise their powers and discharge their duties—
(a) in good faith in the best interests of the Association; and
(b) for a proper purpose.
(5) Committee members and former committee members must not make improper use of—
(a) their position; or
(b) information acquired by virtue of holding their position—
so as to gain an advantage for themselves or any other person or to cause detriment to the Association.
Note: See also Division 3 of Part 6 of the Act which sets out the general duties of the office holders of an incorporated association.
(6) In addition to any duties imposed by these Rules, a committee member must perform any other duties imposed from time to time by resolution at a general meeting.
Article 46. President and Vice-President
(1) Subject to subrule (2), the President or, in the President’s absence, the Vice-President is the Chairperson for any general meetings and for any committee meetings.
(2) If the President and the Vice-President are both absent, or are unable to preside, the Chairperson of the meeting must be—
(a) in the case of a general meeting—a member elected by the other members present; or
(b) in the case of a committee meeting—a committee member elected by the other committee members present.
Term of Office:
Per our Articles of Incorporation (Part 5, Division 3):
Article 55. Term of office
(1) Subject to subrule (3) and rule 56, a committee member holds office until the positions of the Committee are declared vacant at the next annual general meeting.
(2) A committee member may be re-elected.
Posted in: Committee of Management