Come one, come all to the New Melbourne Browncoats Anniversary Dinner Shindig in support of WIRE Women’s Information! We’re celebrating the 7th anniversary of New Melbourne Browncoats Inc with a fancy shindig!
Join us for an evening of fine dining, music, dancing, and fabulous Firefly themed fashions, all nestled in a Firefly themed haven amongst the energetic bustle of Church Street, Richmond. Upon entry, you will be transported to the wonders of Li-Shen’s Bazaar on the SkyPlex visited by the Serenity crew in “The Message”. Enjoy carnival games, great food and drinks, and dancing! Plus prizes, auctions, raffles and help us raise money to support the incredible work of WIRE Women’s Information!
Saturday, 2 June 2018
Time: From 7pm until late
Venue: Function Room, The Swan Hotel, 425 Church Street, Richmond VIC 3121
Ticket Sales have now closed. Swag Bag sales will be available online until 1 June, and for sale at the event.
Choose between being one of the fancy VIPs or the regular folk of the ‘verse. You can also add on a Swag Bag (or more than one) featuring some very shiny goodies! Guests are welcome to select their own seating in our grand dining hall (VIPs will have a special dedicated dining area), where you will partake in a sumptuous three course meal. Special dietary requirements can be catered for, so be sure to let us know when you purchase your tickets. Beverages (including soft drinks, beers, wine and spirits) will be available for purchase from our exclusive bar.
VIP – $80 SALES CLOSED
Be one of the special people with our VIP ticket! Enjoy a dedicated dining area (separate to the rabble of the everyday folk) with fancy decor, bonus raffle tickets and a souvenir gift.
Menu (served alternately):
– Entree: Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Arancini (gf/v) OR Wagyu Beef Sliders with Bacon, Aioli and Slaw
– Main: Chicken Supreme stuffed with Garlic Butter, Sweet Potato Mash, Broccolini and Balsamic Reduction OR 300g Black Angus Porterhouse with Mustard Chat Potatoes, Buttered Green Beans and Red Wine Jus (gf)
– Dessert: Eton Mess of Meringue, Summer Fuits, Berry Coulis and Cream (gf) OR Sticky Date Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Ticket sales for VIPs close on Tuesday 22 May at 11.59pm
Folk – $60 SALES CLOSED
Be one of the everyday folk with this basic no-frills ticket to party!
Menu (served alternately):
– Entree: Thai Pumpkin Soup with Toasted Chiabata (gf/v) OR Wagyu Beef Sliders with Bacon, Aioli and Slaw
– Main: Linguini with Chicken, Semi-Dried Tomatoes, Roasted Capsicum, Olives, Garlic and Spicy Sugo (v) OR 300g Black Angus Porterhouse with Mustard Chat Potatoes, Buttered Green Beans and Red Wine Jus (gf)
– Dessert: Pavlova with Passionfruit Curd, Summer Fruits and Cream (gf) OR Sticky Date Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Ticket sales for Folks close on Friday 25 May at 10:00am
Swag Bag – $35
Add some cool swag to your ticket order! Featuring over $50 worth of Firefly fan friendly swag, plus one lucky Swag Bag buyer will find a special token that wins them a fantastic autographed item!
Win Fabulous Prizes!
- Live and Silent Auctions: Place your bids for a chance to win amazing collectables.
- Costume: Dress to impress to compete for our Best Dressed VIP or Best Dressed Folks
- Raffles: Enter into our fantastic raffle to win great Browncoat themed prizes.
- Door Prize: One lucky guest will win a special prize.
Step back in time and enjoy the fabulous old world glamour of the The Swan Hotel at 425 Church Street, Richmond VIC 3121. We have exclusive use of the upstairs Function Room, which includes exclusive bar, dance floor and private bathrooms.
* Please note that access to the Function Room is via a staircase – there is no disability access.
How to get there:
- Train: 2 minute walk from East Richmond Station
- Tram: Take Route 70 or 78 Tram to the corner of Church Street and Swan Street, Richmond – Approximately 20 minutes from the CBD.
- Parking: Ticket parking is available at the Coles on Swan Street (4 minute walk), and there is a small amount of ticketed street parking. Limited free parking can be found at the Richmond Library on Church Street (1 minute walk)
Accessibility: Unfortunately the venue is not wheelchair friendly. Access to the Function Room is via a stair case (there is no lift or ramp). For those requiring assistance, please let us know when you order tickets and we will do our best to assist you.
All Ages Welcome
This is an all ages event. Please note that those under 18 years must stay within the function room area under full supervision of a parent or legal guardian until midnight, and may not approach the bar at any time. Please note that a security guard is required to escort minors off the premises if leaving after 10pm.
Charity: WIRE (Women’s Information and Resource Exchange)
WIRE Women’s Information is the only statewide free, confidential information & referral service for Victorian women. WIRE aims to be inclusive of women from all backgrounds and experiences, and to create an environment which is free of exploitation and discrimination. WIRE works with the state’s most vulnerable women, many of whom have experienced family violence, social isolation, economic insecurity and homelessness.
WIRE offers a safe place to share your experience, and to get practical and emotional support on any issue. No matter what the problem is, the folks are there to listen and support you, and to provide information on services and practitioners that you can connect to. No appointments are needed and you can contact them again and again on any issue. You will be offered confidential support and treated with respect, and WIRE is committed to becoming an Intersex, Trans + Gender Diverse-friendly service.
When you donate to WIRE you are contributing towards social justice, respect and equality for women, and enabling women to make informed decisions that will shape their lives and the lives of their children.
You can learn more about the work WIRE does at wire.org.au.
Whatever Shall I Wear?
Formal attire is essential. For those in the VIP section, we encourage guests to wear formal uniforms or fancy apparel. Don your very fine hat, fancy gown, pretty little bonnet or your flashiest after-five finery. For the regular folk, dress to impress the upper class as best you can. Be inspired by the wonderful costumes worn by Inara throughout the documentary series “Firefly”, and by the array of dapper suits worn by the gentleman in the episode titled “Shindig”. Outfits from any era are welcome, from historical civil war outfits to modern and Asian influenced apparel.
Zoe: If I’m gonna wear a dress, I want something with some slink.
Wash: You want a slinky dress? I can buy you a slinky dress. Captain, can I have money for a slinky dress?
Jayne: I’ll chip in.
Zoe: I can hurt you.
Looking for more ideas? Why not check out some of these sites for inspiration.
- New Melbourne Browncoats Pinterest Board
- Browncoats.com Costume Resources
- Costumersguide.com Firefly
- Fireflyfans.net Browncoat Ball Costume Link
- StillFlying.net Shindig Screencaps